Tuesday, January 1, 2013

7 Eleven

So around the corner from my place of employment there is a 7 Eleven. And I am there frequently. More than I should be. I think maybe my office keeps them open because I have yet to go there and not run into a co-worker. Anyways, I'm sure you get the point. 

Every time I am there, the same lady is working and we always make small talk about how early it is and the weather or whatever our topic of choice seems to be for the small amount of time it takes her to ring up my hot chocolate and occasional snack item. I stopped in on New years Eve on my way to work because 
1) It was exceptionally cold
2) I hadn't had breakfast
3) It had been a while since I had been in and by a while, I really mean like 3 days.

So while I am getting my hot chocolate, and debating what flavor of creamer I would like to spice up my life a little bit, my cashier friend comes over and is refilling the coffee. And so we have our usual good morning conversation, discussing the snow and early hour of the day, both stating that we are grateful to at least have a job, even if it is early. and then she tells me that she has decided that she is going back to church. And she spent her weekend volunteering at a food drive. And that her new years resolution is to be of service more. And suddenly our little insignificant morning exchange had turned into a more thought provoking and self evaluating conversation. I'm grateful that the clerk at 7 Eleven shared her resolutions with me. Because that is something that I can work on as well. How often do  get so wrapped up in my own life and what I want that I don't pause and look around to see what I can do to help somebody else? I am officially adding that to my list of ways to improve this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment