Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity... -Gilda Radner
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Just some thoughts...
Our constitution is based on democracy, which according to Webster is defines as: government by the people; especially: rule of the majority. It is further defined as a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections. Today's ruling by Judge Vaughn Walker directly contradicts a fundamental ideal that our country is based on. Marriage has now been defined TWICE by the people of California as being between a man and a woman. A MAJORITY of Californians have gone to bat for an institution that is much older than our constitution, an institution that is defined in the Bible as being between a man and a woman. a part of marriage is being able to procreate. Same sex couples, while they can adopt children, do not have the power to procreate. Judge Walker claims that those who support Proposition 8 feel that same sex couples are not as good as heterosexual couples. I am a supporter of proposition 8, and while I have moral and religious reasons for supporting the ban on same sex marriage, I in no way feel that these couples are inferior nor am I afraid that my children will be more likely to be homosexuals. Many claim that moral ground is not enough to base legislation on. On what ground then, was murder deemed unfit behavior for society? Or stealing? Or rape? Or domestic violence? Or a myriad of other behaviors that our courts see fit to punish for? I in no way feel that same sex marriage is an atrocity as many of these other crimes are. I am merely trying to show that moral ground has been the basis for many other laws, so why is it now considered to be an unfit reason? I believe that Judge Walker has set a precedence now for future ruling that may be controversial. Why bother to vote? You are more likely to have your voice heard by stomping through the state, screaming that you are a victim of the same system that protects us and grants us our freedom, or by suing those who disagree with your politics. Our judicial system is no where near perfect, no system is. But it is a system that has served this country well for many, many years. Judge Walker's ruling has to do with much more than equal rights and the definition of marriage, his ruling today is the beginning of the crumbling of our judicial system and it's ability to serve the needs and vote of the people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I didn't realize you had a blog :) And while I'm not really a resident of CA (technically I am... I still hold a license. I just couldn't let it go!:), I agree. I can see the controversy in it, but they ought not to call it marriage. I don't understand why they can't just label it civil union and give them the same rights, because its not the same. And I think its interesting (and there's something to be said concerning this) how you can't really argue with thousands of years of anthropology.
ReplyDeleteI've thought that in the end, religious arguments won't really work on these people. After all, they're gay (fact, not a sexual orientation dig). In the end, they'll figure it out when its too late, and they'll find that they didn't choose His way (not my way or your way, but HIS way), and thus will not receive the blessings that were promised for following His laws.
In Oct 2008 General Conf (right before Prop 8 was passed), Elder Hales gave a talk about Christian courage, which I thought was really appropriate for what we are to do as members of His Church. He says, "Without guile, true disciples avoid being unduly judgmental of others' views. Sometimes true disciples must show Christian courage by saying nothing at all." I think that says it all. It will get worse before it gets better. But I think its important to remember as long as YOU are living righteously, there is no need to worry about what man can do. :-)
sorry this is such a lengthy comment. facebook your email to me and I'll invite you to my blog :) Its private, due to sensitive subjects and the privacy of my friends & family :)